Revised Ordinances of Honolulu (ROH)
Section 18-3.1, Permits Required
- Erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, convert or demolish any building or structure;
- Any electrical work;
- Install, remove, alter, repair or replace any plumbing, gas or drainage piping work or any other fixture, gas appliance, or water heating or treating equipment;
- Construct, reconstruct or improve any sidewalk, curb or driveway in public street rights-of-way.
- Work excepted from building code provisions under Chapter 16, ROH 1990, as amended (building code). Work on sidewalks, curbs or driveways regulated under provisions of Article 18, Chapter 14, ROH 1990, as amended, are not exempt from permit requirement.
- Temporary construction sheds and temporary construction fences.
- Reroofing work which will not adversely affect the structural components for Groups R-3 and M occupancies.
- Installation of siding to existing exterior walls which will not adversely affect the structural components of the walls of Groups R-3 and M occupancies.
- Temporary tents or other coverings used for private family parties or for camping.
- Retaining walls, fences and planter boxes which are not more than 30 inches in height, walkways, riprap walls and outside paving within private property.
- Individual residential television and radio antennas, excluding dish-type antennas.
- Window awnings supported by the exterior walls of Groups R-3 or M occupancies when projecting not more than four feet six inches.
- Installation of wallpaper or wall covering which are exempted under the provisions of Chapter 16, ROH 1990, as amended (building code).
- Repairs which involve only the replacement of component parts of existing work with similar materials for the purpose of maintenance, and which do not aggregate over $1,000.00 in valuation in any 12-month period, and do not affect any electrical or mechanical installations.
- Painting, installation of floor covering and cabinet work without limit as to valuation; provided, however, that the values thereof shall be included as part of the value of any new construction for which a permit is required by this code, for the purpose of determining the amount of the fee to be paid for such permit.
- Work located in federal property.
- Work performed for any government agency, except where permits are specifically requested by said agency.
- Playground equipment, monuments, statutes, ornamental ponds less than 28 inches in depth, and golf course pedestrian and golf car bridges.
- Temporary motion picture, television, and theater stage sets and scenery.
- One-story detached buildings accessory to Group R-3 occupancies and used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the aggregate floor area does not exceed 120 square feet.
- Movable cases, counter, and partitions not over five feet nine inches high.
- The following electrical work:
(A) Electrical work and installation to which the provisions of the electrical code are expressly declared to be not applicable;
(B) Installation of any portable motor or other portable appliance energized by means of a cord or cable having an attachment plug and, if such cord or cable is permitted by the electrical code;
(C) Repair of any fixed motor or other appliance, or replacement of any fixed motor with another having the same horsepower rating and situated at the same location;
(D) Replacement of attachment plug receptacles , but not the outlet therefor;
(E) Maintenance work by a duly licensed electrician;
(F) Electronic equipment, sound public address systems and communication systems for a single-family or two-family dwelling;
(G) Radio and television receiving antenna systems other than master or community systems;
(H) Sound recording systems for a single-family or two-family dwelling;
(I) Interior telephone work not subject to regulation by the public utilities commission of the State of Hawaii and wiring of interconnecting cable of data processing equipment.
- The following work by a public utility supplying gas:
(A) Disconnect defective gas piping or equipment when authorized under Chapter 19, ROH 1990, as amended (plumbing code);
(B) Disconnect or reconnect existing gas piping or equipment for repair, servicing, replacement or removal.
- Repair work in plumbing systems when such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.
- All structures, other than building, which are constructed in conjunction with board of water supply and public works projects undertaken by or on behalf of the city.
- All structures, other than buildings, which are constructed in conjunction with the subdivision of lands and in accordance with plans approved by the city under subdivision rules and regulation.
- Sidewalks, curbs and driveways in public street rights-of-way which are:
(A) Constructed in conjunction with public works projects undertaken by or on behalf of the city,
(B) Constructed in conjunction with subdivision of lands and in accordance with plans approved by the city under subdivision rules and regulation;
(C) Subject to compliance with Article 22, Chapter 14, ROH 1990, as amended.
- Minor repairs to sidewalks, curbs and driveways in public street rights-of-way. However, reconstruction and/or replacement of any portion of sidewalks curbs and driveways shall not be construed as repair which is exempts under this item or paragraph.
(b) Exceptions. A permit shall not be required for the types of work as listed below. Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in violation of the provisions of the technical codes or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.
(Sec. 18-3.1, R.O.1978 (1983 Ed.); Am. Ord. 93-59)